Surf at Batukaras
Batukaras offers fun, user-friendly waves but please keep in mind it does not have the consistency of other Indonesia surf spots.
THE POINT at Batukaras
Righthand pointbreak that rolls through a sand bottom bay in front of the hotel for up to 1500 metres. The take-off is up to you: fast and hollow beyond the point, or slow and easy at the shoulder section. After take-off the wave mellows out with workable walls through to the far end of Batukaras bay.
THE REEF at Batukaras
Righthander with an easy take-off that leads into fast walls unravelling over a lava reef. This high tide spot can turn on some real quality with clean walls to work on your top/bottom turn combo and down-the-line speed reeling to the beach for around 150 metres. Breaks from waist high to overhead.
There’s other surf options accessible by car or boat if you’re up for a bit of adventure. Plenty of beach breaks nearby, and 40 mins drive from Batukaras is a left-hand barrelly reef break that works on small swells and is offshore with the SE Tradewinds from June-Sept.
WHEN TO GO?
- Jan, Feb: all-day offshore winds but inconsistent swell and generally wrong swell direction for The Point, however swell direction and winds are good for The Reef.
- Mar, Apr, May: offshore winds, medium-sized swells (waist to head high with the occasional bigger day). This is the best time to surf in the area because the conditions are usually good for both The Reef and The Point.
- June, July, Aug, Sept: larger consistent swells (waist high to overhead), cross-shore winds at The Point, although some inside sections of The Point are wind protected.
- Oct, Nov, Dec: all-day offshore winds, small swells and possible long flat spells. Uncrowded!
Surfboard rental available from Batukaras Surf Club for around US$10/day (short/longboards). No need to pre-book a surfboard, just arrange it directly with the local boys when you get here. Please note the boards that are available are rental boards so quality can vary! If you are after a specific surfboard type it’s best to bring your own board.
Batukaras has great value surf lessons with the legendary locals!
No need to book your lesson now – just book and pay for your stay at Lagoona Beach Bungalows and we’ll introduce you to the local surf instructors when you’re here. It’s a casual approach to the whole idea, but hey, you will be learning to surf in an Indo village with local surfers – it doesn’t get any more real.
Learn To Surf
Learn to Surf
The Point at Batukaras is perhaps one of the best places to learn to surf in the world! Here’s why:
- Sand bottom bay with tropical warm water means user-friendly conditions.
- Slow peeling waves means plenty of time to work on the basics and improve your style.
- Long waves with different sections. Move ‘up the point’ as your surfing improves – rolling walls in the middle of the bay, faster & hollower at the take-off.